As you know from our blog posts I am really interested in all aspects of dog training whether it’s useful things such as loose lead walking, fun tricks to build your bond, behaviour modification to increase confidence and many other useful applications. I find dog behaviour and training utterly fascinating and I’m always trying to better myself to give Bonnie the best life I can. As my first dog Bonnie wasn’t necessarily the easiest dog I could’ve asked for but in return she has taught me first hand how to be a better dog owner and trainer which I am so grateful for!
So onto the exciting news – I have enrolled for a 10 week course “Better Dog Training and Behaviour Through Better Understanding” which is an accredited course to the OCNNI Level 3 (equivalent to an A Level) run by two respected Northern Ireland trainers Robin Bates and Sandra Gilliland. It will look at all training methods to research and analyse but we will be using only positive training techniques practically which is the training method I prefer to use.
The course not only covers theory lessons and discussions but also covers practical sessions including running a class and creating a behavioural rehabilitation program. I am seriously so excited! I don’t know if I will ever get the opportunity to work with dogs in the future ( I do hope I can though!) but if I ever get the chance this will help begin my journey and if not it just means I personally have a better understanding for Bonnie and any dogs or foster dogs we have in future!
We have received the recommended reading list below so I’m going to try to start swotting up before the course starts on Monday 3rd October!
Recommended Reading List
- Life Skills for Puppies: Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills
- Dogs that Bite and Fight; David Ryan – Ordered
- Choosing The Right Dog For You: Gwen Bailey
- The APBC Book of Companion Animal Behaviour 3rd Edition: Edited by David Appleby.
- How to Behave So your Dog Behaves: Dr Sophia Yin, DVM,MS – Ordered
- Dogs: Raymond Coppinger and Laura Coppinger
- Excel-Erated Learning: Pamela J. Reid Ph.D.
- Don’t Shoot the Dog. Karen Pryor – Ordered and arrived
- Genetics and the Social Behaviour of the dog: Scott and Fuller.
- In Defence of Dogs: John Bradshaw. – Already have and currently reading
- Decoding Your dog Debra Horwitz DVM and John Cirribassi DVM
- Other end of the leash: Patricia J. McConnell. – Already have and read
- How Dogs Learn: Mary R. Burch and Jon S. Bailey
In addition I ordered BAT 2.0 by Grisha Stewart as I have been wanting to learn more about BAT for a while now.
I am really excited but also a bit nervous – after 14 years in the school system, 4 years at University then working full time I never though I would “return to study” so this will be interesting! I’m hoping I can keep up with the assignments and perform well in addition to a normal work week, looking after Bonnie and the 3 degus and running this blog. I’m sure it will be an interesting 10 weeks anyway!